The Advent Season is upon us! You may have never heard of Advent, but it’s been celebrated by Christians through the ages. Some churches – and some families – use an Advent Wreath to observe this special time. Some families use an Advent Calendar that counts down to Christmas Day.
The word Advent comes to us from Latin and it means coming or arrival. The Scriptures looked forward to Jesus’ First Coming, which we celebrate as Christmas. But we also look forward to Jesus’ Second Coming.
Just like with His First Advent, we don’t know when His Second Advent will be. So we must always be ready. The four Sundays before Christmas and Christmas remind us to always be ready for His arrival.
Let me recommend a few resources to help you to prepare for Jesus’ Second Coming during this Advent season. Feel free to do any or all of these suggestions. My only caution is to not do so many readings that you miss the reason you’re doing the readings.
- Read one chapter of Luke each day. On Christmas Eve, you will complete your reading through the book of Luke.
- Read through the Christmas narrative in Luke 2:1-21. This passage will take you from the announcement of the Census through the announcement of Jesus’ birth to the Shepherds and their visit to Bethlehem. (This passage is quoted by Linus Van Pelt in the A Charlie Brown Christmas TV Special)
- Come Let Us Adore Him by Paul David Tripp available for free in the YouVersion Bible App
- The Dawning of Indestructible Joy – John Piper
- Available for free in the PrayerMate App
- Available for free PDF download at DesiringGod.org
This devotional was originally published November 30, 2019.